10 Thoughtful Christmas Gift Ideas
If you haven’t picked out suitable gifts, don’t sweat it!
We know that Christmas is the season of giving and good vibes all around. Still, being kiasu Singaporeans that we are, some of us can’t help feeling a little ambitious about gift-giving. Other than one-upping the gifts we picked out last year, we all want to surprise our friends and family with things that they’d truly love.
If you’re like us, then you could be racking your brains on what to get. The simple key is to consider what would make your loved one’s eyes light up. It could be something that fits their personality or a hobby that they’re really into at the moment. So, here it is: 10 Christmas gift ideas that show your loved ones you’re thinking of them this season. From nifty gadgets to handmade gifts and more, these items will have the rest of the party enviously sighing, “Spoil market…” as your recipient unwraps their gift!
1. Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate
Pamper someone special with this premium skincare product.
For skincare junkies, this best-selling serum is a must-have in their skincare arsenal. Enhanced with ImuGeneration Technology™, it contains botanical extracts of Reishi Mushroom and Iris Root, thoroughly boosting skin strength and immunity. This serum absorbs easily in the skin with a light and velvety texture, leaving one with healthily glowing skin.
Just for this Christmas, make it extra special for your loved one. Surprise her with this skin-pampering goodness in Shiseido’s limited edition RIBBONESIA packaging, featuring gorgeous prints in a modern Japanese aesthetic.
Shiseido RIBBONESIA Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate, (75ml; $185), available at Metro.
2. BURT’S BEES Mistletoe Kiss (Limited Edition)
Pucker up with healthy lips!
This trio of lip essentials from the well-loved natural skincare and makeup brand comprises the Pomogranate Lip Balm (4.25g), Peony Lip Shimmer (2.6g) and Hibiscus Tinted Lip Balm (4.25g). If their delicious sounding flavours aren’t enough to entice you, these lippies are also free from Phthalates, Parabens, Petrolatum and SLS – harmful chemicals that are commonly present in makeup and hygiene products. Grab this set for someone who likes to keep things simple with wholesome beauty products.
BURT’S BEES Mistletoe Kiss, $30.40 (U.P. $38), available at Sephora.
3. Straits Wholefoods Enzymes
Help your loved ones take on the new year with great health.
If you’re still considering what to get for your parents, think about how they made you eat your greens and fed you countless herbal soups since you were a kid. Now’s your chance to give back – so, show them you care for their well-being with health boosters such as the Vitality Enzymes from Straits Wholefoods. Enzymes are crucial for digestion and aid in other important functions such as muscle-building, which then promote vitality and youthfulness. The best part is, these supplements come in elegant glass bottles reminiscent of wine bottles, making them presentable gifts for the ones you love.
Straits Wholefoods Enzymes Triple Pack, $170 (U.P. $244) available at Metro.
4. Gremillet Blanc De Noirs Red Edition
Say “cheers!” to the New Year.
We all have that one friend or family member who loves a good time with a bottle of bubbly. Get the party started with this champagne that shows a smooth, fine mousse texture with toasty yeast aromas and full fruit flavours.
Gremillet Blanc De Noirs Red Edition (also available in the Gold Edition), $68 (U.P. $86), available at Bottles and Bottles.
5. Fitbit Charge 3
Charge up your workouts with this fitness companion.
Here’s a good way to motivate someone who’s getting serious about their fitness regime. The recently launched Fitbit Supercharge 3 is comfortable, stylish and will keep you up to date on your body’s health and fitness levels. Aside from setting over 15 goal-based exercises (including swimming), you can also track your sleep cycle, make payments and receive smartphone notifications.
The Fitbit Charge 3, $238 - $268, available at Metro.
6. Workout Apparel
No one has the excuse to skip workout days with fitness gear this chic.
With the athleisure trend not going away, everyone wants to look fab while sweating it out. Head down to Royal Sporting House to grab a set of workout attire that’ll keep your loved one comfy and confident when they hit the gym.
P.S. We know that buying shoes for someone may be a little tricky and require some sneaking around to get the right size, but we’re sure your extra effort will pay off!
• Under Armour Men Micro G Assert 7 Running Shoes in Navy, $89 (U.P. $159)
• Reebok Men GS Training Speedwick Tee in Medium Grey Heather, $18 (U.P. $29)
• Reebok Men Linear Read Tee in Cranberry Red, $18 (U.P. $29)
• Sof Sole Men Coolmax Socks, $14.50 (U.P. $18)
• Under Armour Men Surge Running Shoes in Black/Red, $89 (U.P. $159)
• Under Armour Women Micro G Assert 7 Running Shoes in Black, $89 (U.P. $159)
• Reebok Women Workout Tri Back Bra in Bunker Blue, $29.50 (U.P. $39)
• Reebok Women GS Shine Delta Muscle Tank in Black, $18 (U.P. $29)
• Reebok Women Linear Read Scoop T-Shirt in Twisted Berry/White, $18 (U.P. $29)
• Sof Sole Women Coolmax Socks, $14.50 (U.P. $18)
7. Popsical POP01/G Karaoke Streaming Device
Get this for the karaoke king/queen in your family.
Would you have guessed that this super sleek gadget is actually a portable karaoke streaming device? The cloud-based Popsical music library gives you access to a self-updating Karaoke playlist, so you can belt out the latest tunes in the comfort of your living room. Can you believe this little device already has over 200,000 songs and counting?
Whenever you’ve got friends over, simply pay $3.99 for a 24-hour pass of non-stop karaoke. Or, if you’d love to karaoke all-day, every day, get the monthly subscription at just $9.99 (with the first month for free).
The speaker system with wireless microphones are available separately. You may then purchase them as a bundle, or connect the Popsical to your other audio devices.
Popsical POP01/G, $249.00, available at COURTS.
8. LG Pocket Photo Snap PC389
Your recipient can start using this right away to capture this year’s Christmas memories.
This camera will surely invite adoring coos from your recipient. Aside from its pastel colours and compact design, the LG Pocket Photo Snap has a five-million-pixel resolution and can print up to 30 images on a full charge. Highlights include its reprint function that allows you to print multiple copies of the same photo. This means that everyone at the party can bring home a keepsake! Plus, if you’ve got photos taken on your own phone, you can also print them out by connecting to the Pocket Photo Snap via Bluetooth (it’s compatible with Android and iOS devices). You can even print photos in black and white for that retro feel! Think of it as a mobile photo studio that can fit in your pocket – how cool is that?
LG Pocket Photo Snap PC389, $249, available at COURTS.
If you prefer not to spend a bomb on Christmas but don’t want to settle for photo-frames, your gift can still be really special! Make it different this year by concocting your very own wellness treats with these DIY recipes.
9. Candy Cane & Peppermint Body Scrub
Candies are not always bad for you!
Make your loved one this sweet-smelling body scrub that’s perfect for the season. With fresh and fragrant ingredients, this lovely concoction can be used to exfoliate one’s hands and feet.
• 4 cups of white sugar
• 1/4 cup of crushed candy canes
• About 1 cup of olive oil
• Peppermint essential oil
1. Add the sugar and olive oil to a mixing bowl and stir till the texture resembles wet sand.
2. Add about 20 to 30 drops of peppermint essential oil to the mix.
3. Crush candy canes in a blender or put them in a ziplock bag and smash them into pieces with a rolling pin. Make sure they’re as fine as the sugar granules.
4. In a mason jar, fill the bottom layer with the sugar mixture and top it off with a layer of crushed candy canes. Alternate the layers till the jar is full.
10. Homemade Potpourri
Send good vibes in the form of sweet-smelling fragrances.
If you think your loved one deserves some TLC, a homemade potpourri concoction would be just the perfect gift. Gather their favourite blooms, spices and essential oils and mix them into fragrant bags of potpourri that they can put in the bedroom, car or even workstation. We guarantee your labour of love will be appreciated! Just be sure to give it to your recipient when it’s freshly made!
• 5 to 10 stalks of fresh flowers; preferably those with strong and sweet scents eg. rose, lavender, frangipani.
• 1 sheet of parchment paper
• 1 bottle of essential oil
• Citrus fruits eg. oranges, lemons or lime
• Herbs and spices eg. cinnamon, cloves, rosemary, thyme.
1. Preheat your oven to 200˚F/ about 93 °C.
2. Lay out the parchment paper on a baking tray.
3. Cut the flowers from their stems just below the heads, or pluck off individual petals and lay them out evenly on the parchment paper.
4. Slice up citrus fruits and add them into the mix with the herbs and spices.
5. Over the mixture, spritz 10 to 15 drops of your favourite essential oil and drizzle over one tablespoon of water.
6. Leave the tray of potpourri in the oven for about 2 hours till the flowers turn brittle. Constantly check that the petals are not burnt.
7. After about 2 hours, remove the tray and lightly spray with the essential oil again.
8. Scoop out the mixture and pack into sachets or potpourri bags.
Check out ingredients from Cold Storage and BsaB, get fresh flowers from Flora Springs & Party and Xpressflower.com, as well as materials from Daiso and Popular Bookstore.
Good luck on your gift hunting and we’ll see you around our malls!